Welcome to my Blog! :)

Welcome to my Blog! :)

Friday, October 12, 2012

The Present of Fall



It's FALL! The leaves are changing, the calming rain is begining and the ovens being full of baking deliciousness. Yet even with this beautiful season just on our doorstep its so easy to focus on whats next and wish for that.


I struggle with this.  Often my mind is reminiscing the past; reviewing and role-playing how I would have done something different. Or I end up floating off into my dream world of the future.  I fantasize what could happen and come up with stories and dreams in my head. I then often become attached to these expectations only to end up disappointed and left wishing.  Wishing for the next thing to happen in my life or even in the seasons. "I wish I was done with school, I wish I was farther along in my faith or I wish the sun would come back and it would be summer again."

Recently, I read a kids story called "The Magic Thread" It is about a boy that got a magic thread that he could pull to wish the time away.  He thought he knew what he wanted when he wanted it only to find that living and experiencing both the good and the bad was truly worth it.(Here is a link to read the story online if you want! http://www.noogenesis.com/pineapple/magic_thread.html)


Life flies by and its not meant to be lived one moment over and over again or off in some fantisy world but living; real living is in this moment; this season. 

In the end we can't change the past and we don’t have control over our futures as much as we wish we did. God holds my future and right now he has given me the present. As Alice Morse Earle says 

“Yesterday is history, Tomorrow a mystery, Today is a gift. That’s why it’s called the Present!”  

Fall is a present and presents are meant to be accepted and enjoyed. So, this fall I have began to focus on the beauty of this season.  I have spent hours working on a list of fall favorites and made a list of 101 things to do this fall. Here are a few things I love about fall...the changing colors,the brisk autumn air, warm cozy fires, coffee dates with friends, books, pumpkin spice lattes, pumkin pie, pumpkin soup and like everything pumpkin! I love Fall! To tell you the truth I’ve never loved fall so much in my life! 

Thank you Lord for the "Present!":)

No comments:

Post a Comment